Sunday 12 October 2014

A Balm for Sense.  A Challenge for Humans.

There is something about this book that feels so familiar.  Piketty's exposition is like the confirmation I have been seeking for the argument I have been meaning to make but have not had the language to communicate!

Piketty is not only someone who sees through the emperor's clothes but is doing so from inside established power hierarchies. This gives me some hope that there is potential for his arguments to influence change.  Unfortunately I cannot see his ideas promoted by any political party bar green issues based pressure groups that don't have credence with the majority.  I have no one to vote for who will give me the satisfaction of knowing that they are going to act radically enough to make  a difference.  Maybe one day?  I am as subject to the need for immediate gratification as the rest of us.

How do we encourage our fellow human's participation in something that appears to be so far removed from our everyday reality of food, sleep, work, entertainment (Society as Spectacle)?

Given the short attention span and need for immediate gratification at the expense of long-term sustainability of us human animals "it is easier to imagine capitalism collapsing than the elite consenting to [Piketty's solutions]." And if it collapses?  Will that mean violent bloody revolution?  Perhaps we deserve it?  

My view is that we are worth more than that.  I get a lot of pleasure from my fellow human beings too!  As Mr J Lennon said "There's no separation. Were all one. "Give peace a chance," not "Shoot people for peace." "All you need is love." I believe it. It's damn hard, but I absolutely believe it."

"You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one"

No comments:

Post a Comment